Monday, May 16, 2011

Another Stream

Had an interesting though on bipolar today. I equated it with being a bully in therapy. Later, I thought to myself, the only way to defeat a bully is to stand up to him. So, this evening I had a self-deprecatory thought, and I said, "Shut the fuck up. I am tired of your shit. Just shut your God damn mouth." It actually worked. Maybe anthropomorphizing bipolar could be helpful, will try it out. Obviously this is a big bitch who will often defeat me, but it's important that I stand up for myself when these cruel thoughts come to me. My therapist says part of that is actually BELIEVING that I am not worthless, etc, so I can say that aloud and make an affirmation of it whenever negative thoughts come along. That will be a challenge, to say the least.

Bipolar disorder is one entity that I do not have to be kind to. Since I am something of a church mouse in real life, I kind of am in love with the idea of being verbally abusive to my negative thoughts, or as I like to call it, my nasty bitchassery to myself.

One for the road:

1 comment:

  1. I tried that and got in an argument with myself.

    ReplyDelete